Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle - 1923

I've been working for some time on a post comparing four different editions of the 1923 Newbery winner, The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting. The post got so long that I set it up on its own website. Let me know what you think in the comments there or here.

Bottom line: There are some editions out there that do not make it clear that they have been revised from the 1922 original. Even with those that are upfront about changes, it's good to know exactly what is different. Buyer beware!

2 comments:

Sandy D. said...

Very interesting! I don't feel so bad about reading one of the later editions now that I know exactly what was changed. I had started reading the original online here but was finding it not as comfortable as taking a real book to bed. Maybe if I had a laptop or e-reader I could read online like that.

Amanda (the librarian) said...

There may be even more changes - these are just the ones I could find.