Friday, April 20, 2007

The Story of Mankind

As I just wrote to a fellow Newbery Project member, the best thing about this book is knowing that it's all downhill from here. I can't imagine any of the other winners will be such a drag! Others have already given this a thorough review. I concur with their sentiments. But also, being a compulsive type, I couldn't participate in the project without starting at the beginning and reading every freaking word of it.

Mission accomplished. Onward and upward.

3 comments:

Sandy D. said...

I can't believe you read that whole thing. You should get some special award for thoroughness.

Betsy said...

it's all or nothing! hahaha...

M said...

I so agree! I had the same idea and was excited about the book when I picked it up. Now, finally, I have read it and PUT IT DOWN.

My issue was on language - not that it was boring, that it was so condescending in style! I wouldn't read this book to my 5-year-old because I feel the book "dumbs down" the information way too much.