Friday, March 2, 2007

Holes by Sachar

I finished reading Holes by Sachar (1999) last week. I absolutely loved it. I think it's my favorite Newberry winner so far.

If you haven't read it, it's about a boy, Stanley, who is sent away to a correctional camp in Texas called Camp Green Lake. Only there is no lake, and it's certainly not green. It's in the middle of the desert and the boys who are sent there are forced to dig one hole each day. In between Stanley's story are the stories of Stanley's great grandfather, which takes place in Latvia, and the story of Kate Barlow, which takes place a hundred years ago in the city of Green Lake (when there really was a lake).

I loved how Sachar connected the past and the present, and how the things that Kate Barlow did helped Stanley get out of his predicament. This is my favorite Newberry Award winner so far. Great book. I highly recommend it if you've never read it.

4 comments:

Leela said...

Okay--I just happened upon this blog randomly, and it looks lovely. And because you have picked up a task so delightful as reading all the Newbery Medal winners, I don't feel rude suggesting the next selection--you have got to read Walk Two Moons. It is brilliant. It is an incredible mother/daughter study, with perfect tone and overlapping storylines and much more that I couldn't begin to describe. It is delicious.

Corinne said...

Moni - I read this book in one sitting several years ago. I could not put it down and I loved the way everything tied together at the end. I agree with you - a fantastic read!!

Melissa said...

You know, I didn't really like this one the first time I read it. Don't remember why. But, since then, I've re-read it and absolutely loved it. There's a "sequel" -- Small Steps. It's not as good, but it's fun enough.

Sandy D. said...

Oooh, I'm going to search out "Small Steps" -- my son just finished "Holes" and I had no idea there was a sequel!