Monday, January 29, 2007

Joanne's Book List

I've been working my way through the list of Newbery Medal Winners, but got sidetracked in the midst of moving last summer. I'm excited for this change to get back on track.

I have loved every one of the books I've read from the list so far. (By the way, some libraries or bookshops have lists of the winners, so it's easy to tuck in pocket and check off titles you've read.)

*Roller Skates, 1937
The Witch of Blackbird Pond, 1959
Island of the Blue Dolphins, 1961
*The Bronze Bow, 1962
A Wrinkle in Time, 1963
It's Like This, Cat, 1964
From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, 1968
Julie of the Wolves, 1973
Bridge to Terabithia, 1978
*Jacob Have I Loved, 1981
*Sarah Plain and Tall, 1986
The Giver, 1994
The Midwife's Apprentice, 1996
The Tale of Despereaux, 2004

*Think these are my favorites so far.

It's surprising to me that I only read a few of these as a child--Island of the Blue Dolphins, From the Mixed-up Files... (somehow taking a bath in the fountain stuck with me my whole life, so when I read this as an adult, I thought, so that's where that came from!).

So, what to read next? Think I may go with Shiloh (1992), since I know there's a copy upstairs on the bookshelf. I've read many of these from the library, but think it would be great to have my own copies--especially for my girls to read as they search for books to love.

(Sorry I haven't put titles in italics--can't seem to figure out the shortcuts on my Mac!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a seventh grade L.A. teacher, so I've been doing this off and on too. I read Shiloh this fall--very spare style, interesting. I have a hand-me-down poster in my classroom with pictures of the covers through about 1980-something, and I've been trying to get through those first. The Bronze Bow was a really surprising choice, I thought, and very unlike her other winner, Witch of Blackbird.