Friday, September 7, 2007

Holes 1999


With great care the scene is set and the characters are introduced. From the outset you are aware that all is not quite as simple as it may appear. A story, on the surface written in short economic sentences. We learn enough about our characters but, as with much else in this book – it is the bare minimum. As two of these characters launch out into an apparent barren wilderness the reader is compelled to turn the page and ‘just finish the chapter’!
I enjoyed the style of writing, the story within a story plus the message of the book ‘look carefully, things are not always what they appear to be’.

A read that would appeal to boys and well deserving of the Newbery Medal award

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Totally agree - my son was 12 when this book came out and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

I have this book sitting on my bedside table. I'm looking forward to reading it soon.