Friday, September 7, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle (November 29, 1918 - September 6, 2007)

I'm sure you've heard the news of Madeleine L'Engle's death. I just didn't feel like we should let this moment pass without acknowledging the life of such a gifted author.

I'll end this with a couple of quotes:

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."

"In the evening of life we shall be judged on love, and not one of us is going to come off very well, and were it not for my absolute faith in the loving forgiveness of my Lord I could not call on him to come."
-Madeleine L'Engle

7 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Here's a copy of the obituary written by AP writer Cara Rubinsky:
http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/

I think I may have to start with her 1963 book, one I'll be RE-reading. She was a wonderful writer of both fiction and her memoirs ... I especially enjoyed The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, about the summer L'Engle's own mother was dying at 90.

Ladytink_534 said...

I just finished reading about this. It's so sad.

Sandy D. said...

I'm in the middle of reading "A Wrinkle in Time" aloud to my ten year old. I can't believe I haven't re-read since I was a teenager.

Betsy said...

I re-read that a couple of years ago and found it to be just as enjoyable as the first time I read it, which was in 6th grade!! I think it was the book that made me cross over from Baby-Sitters Club land into new reading territory. I'm forever grateful :)

Sandy D. said...

An author whose blog I read had this wonderful story about L'Engle: http://naomikritzer.livejournal.com/175649.html

And in Naomi's comments, there was a link to this: Madeleine L'Engle at Home. It's nice to find your heroes are really good in real life, isn't it?

Betsy said...

that's a great article. thanks for sharing...brought a tear to my eye!

Anonymous said...

I pulled my copy of Wrinkle in Time out of the box in my closet. I think it's time for a re-read. She was such a valuable writer; she contributed a lot to the world of children's literature.