Monday, December 17, 2007

Some Contenders for the 2008 Prize

Some folks associated with the Allen County Public Library (in Fort Wayne, Indiana) have put together a list of some of the contenders for the 2008 Newbery Award. You remember, these are the people who did their own controversial but entertaining ranking of Newbery winners here (which we discussed in this post).

I think that the only book I've read on their list is Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I loved it - and would be absolutely thrilled if it won the Newbery Award next year. And I'd be all ready to go with my review.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've also read Absolutely True Diary, Sandy (my review is here). Did you know it won the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature?

Another finalist for that award that's also been getting some Newbery buzz is Brian Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret. That's in my pile of stuff to read during the holiday break.

Melissa said...

I've actually read a whopping 7 books. I'm glad that my three choices -- Hugo Cabret, Wednesday Wars and Elijah of Buxton -- made the list. Part-time Indian is sitting on my bedside table, waiting to be read (soon!).